| MBB/WBB šŸ€ šŸ† ~ 2023 NCAA Basketball Tournament: The Final Four starts Saturday, 4/1, at 6 ET on CBS.

CBS Live Bracket.

Friday, March 24, 2023

MATCHUPMATCHUPTIMETVLOCATION
5~ San Diego State @ 1~ Alabama6:30 PMTBSKFC Yum! Center, Louisville, KY
5~ Miami @ 1~ Houston7:15 PMCBST-Mobile Center, Kansas City, MO
15~ Princeton @ 6~ Creighton9:00 PMTBSKFC Yum! Center, Louisville, KY
3~ Xavier @ 2~ Texas9:45 PMCBST-Mobile Center, Kansas City, MO

They started the first four in 2011. In the 10 tournaments since then, nine of them had one of the first four teams make it to the Round of 32.

...if you'll recall, in '11 that was Shaka Smart's VCU (play-in) team who ended up in the Final Four. He went on to a short stint at Texas (like most of their basketball coaches.) He didn't, however, end up in the SEC which has been the norm. šŸ™ƒ

If you've missed it, Shaka is at Marquette (who some have picked as a NC contender.)

If Tennessee and Marquette met in the finalā€”two former Texas coachesā€”would they invite Chris Beard into the studio for commentary?

This place is dead tonight... where is everyone?

Texas A&M CC won their game. I'm guessing Bama will be about a 21 point favorite over them. Pitt beat MSU 60-59... Bulldogs had a great look in the final seconds and missed a wide open 3 and the putback attempt... so their dance ticket is revoked.

This place is dead tonight... where is everyone?

Texas A&M CC won their game. I'm guessing Bama will be about a 21 point favorite over them. Pitt beat MSU 60-59... Bulldogs had a great look in the final seconds and missed a wide open 3 and the putback attempt... so their dance ticket is revoked.
Usually hang with my buddies Tue/Thur but this week we are all going to a Wedding on Friday so I've been cleaning the house/getting packed and ready for the wedding tonight and tomorrow! Other than that, kinda keeping track of the scores on my phone.

Thought MSST was going to pull that one off, they just couldn't stop Pitt's shooting in the end and then had some terrible shots on their side. They missed 3 layups near the end and a 3 and lost.

They are the four lowest-ranked teams from group of teams receiving at-large bids.
Thanks Terry. That part makes sense to me. What confuses me is why the winners of those games (Pitt) get to play a 6 seed (Iowa State) in their second game instead of one of the other two 1 seeds (Houston)? Seems like the 6 seed gets the better draw for their first game than the 1 seed does.

Thanks Terry. That part makes sense to me. What confuses me is why the winners of those games (Pitt) get to play a 6 seed (Iowa State) in their second game instead of one of the other two 1 seeds (Houston)? Seems like the 6 seed gets the better draw for their first game than the 1 seed does.
It is a bit confusing, I'll agree. Broken down it's a little more clear.

Last night's game with A&M CC and SE Missouri...those were automatic bids due to conference championships, right? While the A&M CC team is a conference champ they are also seeded lower than Pitt or Mississippi State (two of the last for invitations.) The committee selects the 36, then seeds the 68, then fills the brackets.

The last four in are seeded higher than the 12 in (#13, 14, and 15th seeds) so when they are entered in to the "64 team bracket," they fall respective to where they're seeded.

Does that make a lick of sense? I know what they're thinking here...explaining it is another game in itself.

It is a bit confusing, I'll agree. Broken down it's a little more clear.

Last night's game with A&M CC and SE Missouri...those were automatic bids due to conference championships, right? While the A&M CC team is a conference champ they are also seeded lower than Pitt or Mississippi State (two of the last for invitations.) The committee selects the 36, then seeds the 68, then fills the brackets.

The last four in are seeded higher than the 12 in (#13, 14, and 15th seeds) so when they are entered in to the "64 team bracket," they fall respective to where they're seeded.

Does that make a lick of sense? I know what they're thinking here...explaining it is another game in itself.
Yes, thank you. That does make more sense now.

I agree 100%. If you are going to have play in games, have 4 teams play each of the 4 16 seeds. Makes no sense to me why an 11 seed is playing in a play in game. Just my opinion.

Now try to look at it as the play-in game for the last at-large bid; its reward being the 11th seed.

The reward for the play-in game for conference champions is a 16 seed.

I'll agree it is awkward. It makes sense though.

IE: Pitt and Texas A&M CCā€”both winners of their play-in games last nightā€”are not equals.

Now try to look at it as the play-in game for the last at-large bid; its reward being the 11th seed.

IE: Pitt and Texas A&M CCā€”both winners of their play-in games last nightā€”are not equals.

That is true, Pitt and A&M CC are not equals. LOL Do you remember a few years ago when UCLA was a play in team, I believe and made it all the way to the final four?

How about that Hofstra team beating Rutgers last night? :)

Vandy also picked up a nice win over Yale!

LOL Do you remember a few years ago when UCLA was a play in team, I believe and made it all the way to the final four?
How could I forget? They made it to the Sweet 16 through Alabama in overtime. I'm no fan but certainly didn't mind seeing them beat Michigan to get to the Elite 8.

They were one of the "First Four In" that season and made it to the Final Four if I'm remembering things correctly.

Exactly. They are allowing two 16s and two 11s to make it in instead of allowing four 16s. Any expansion should allow two more from 5-10 and two more from 12-15. 1-4 get byes in opening round.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom