| FTBL 2022 "Receivers" production

shipley00

I keep looking over the season and the apparent lack of production at the Wide Receivers position. Two of the top 5 receivers are non WR. One of those was not on the team last year (Gibbs) and the other is a converted TE. I'm sure there are several contributing factors (OL play, OC calling/scheme, "spreading it around"), but a big one that surprised me was our piss poor recruiting at the WR position two years in a row. We didn't have a single top 100 WR recruit in 2019. We had 1 top 50 WR in 2020 (#46 Trae Holden). I'm curious if those in the know can share their theories on why.

I am not in the know, but our WR's couldn't seem to get separation. QB took so long to find an open receiver that the OL eventually collapsed. Could it be the position coach, Wiggins(?), or is the talent just not there.

I keep looking over the season and the apparent lack of production at the Wide Receivers position. Two of the top 5 receivers are non WR. One of those was not on the team last year (Gibbs) and the other is a converted TE. I'm sure there are several contributing factors (OL play, OC calling/scheme, "spreading it around"), but a big one that surprised me was our piss poor recruiting at the WR position two years in a row. We didn't have a single top 100 WR recruit in 2019. We had 1 top 50 WR in 2020 (#46 Trae Holden). I'm curious if those in the know can share their theories on why.
This^^^. Did not realize the drop off in talent at WR.

I will preface my statement by saying I believe Bama can do better than BoB but with him as OC we did not seem to have an issue when we had Williamson/Metchie at WR with a much worse OL in my opinion. Seems like the Jimmies and Joes have a big impact here.

We had issues recruiting then, because we had 5 first round WR's around, and people didn't wan to ride the pine for a few years until it was their time. The guys we recruited were still considered good, they just weren't the caliber we'd seen recently. Unfortunately for us, they didn't pan out the be nearly as good as we'd hoped and ultimately we're left with issues still at that position. Probably will have the same issues this next year but I'd expect to see better play the year after.

I think it has a lot to do for me with at least the perception that an OC knowing our receivers can't get separation should probably not rely on the deep passes that require separation. Speed was an obvious issue at receiver this year, but the OC not trying to figure out a way to overcome that hurt.
I don’t think speed was the issue. I think there were times where BY hung onto the ball too long, OL pass blocking, and a lack of playcalling

Not including Holden,Brooks,+TJ-Bell? This season's WR room was the fastest I have ever seen anywhere. Of course Harrell and Anderson were hurt most of the year. Brooks isnt a burner,nor is Shazz,but they are far from slow. And the coming season,with the additions of Jaren Hamilton,Cole Adams(who Tide fans are going to love),Jalen Hale,and of course Malik Benson? The WR room will even be faster. The lack of schemes and Route combos were all on BOB.And yes Bryce holds it too long way too often, with vision issues locked into his game because of taking his drops at the same depth and and the same platform 95% of the time. Plus being 5'10 in the middle of the pocket.

Not including Holden,Brooks,+TJ-Bell? This season's WR room was the fastest I have ever seen anywhere. Of course Harrell and Anderson were hurt most of the year. Brooks isnt a burner,nor is Shazz,but they are far from slow. And the coming season,with the additions of Jaren Hamilton,Cole Adams(who Tide fans are going to love),Jalen Hale,and of course Malik Benson? The WR room will even be faster. The lack of schemes and Route combos were all on BOB.And yes Bryce holds it too long way too often, with vision issues locked into his game because of taking his drops at the same depth and and the same platform 95% of the time. Plus being 5'10 in the middle of the pocket.

They were nowhere the speed of Jeudy, Ruggs, Waddle, and Smith. Devonta is deceptively fast. We know what Ruggs and Waddle could do. Jedy is fast, but has such a good route tree he could leave a guy in his dust in no time.

Williams was a blazer and it opened Metchie up, a lot. Metchie had some speed of his own, but another good route runner.

This year's guys had speed, but zero clue how to use it. Gotta have hands too, and I feel we dropped a lot of passes, especially Holden. These guys I don't feel were as fast as the first group I mentioned or the second.

I think Bryce's hold time is a factor of receivers not getting separation.

Welcome to the site!

That freshman group had plenty of speed. I don't think that was the issue.
Harrell is world-class fast akin to what Henry was. Burton is a sub-4.4 guy and they dont grow on trees. Isaiah Bond,Kendrick Law,Kobe Prentice,Aaron Anderson,and Emanuel Henderson dont just have good speed.They have/ elite speed coming from H.S. Wish we could have kept Aaron. And Shazz is easily a sub-11.0 100 meter guy. And JoJo and Leary both had/have serious wheels.So that is what I mean about never seeing as much speed in a WR room ever. And of course I know how explosive JJ,Metchie,Jamo,Henry,The Reaper,+JW were and are.And of course there are so many other things that go into being an elite WR besides speed. But it is the one thing you cannot teach. And Malik Benson is going to be "blow you away" impressive. He is already practicing and is Jamo fast and similar,although I believe quicker in and out of his routes and stems.And wait until Ryan Williams arrives! Holy cow!!!

Back
Top Bottom