This Week: NCAA REGIONAL (TUSCALOOSA, ALA.)
- Friday, May 20 – Alabama vs. Chattanooga – 3 p.m. CT – SEC Network
- Friday, May 20 – Stanford vs. Murray State – 5:30 p.m. CT
- Radio: 97.5 FM | Varsity App | nick975.com
- Alabama earned the No. 6 overall seed at the 2022 NCAA Tournament, hosting the Tuscaloosa Regional this weekend featuring Stanford, Murray State and Chattanooga
- The Crimson Tide has made the NCAA Tournament every season since 1999 and will host regionals for the 19th time, including an active streak of 17-straight years
- The winner of the Tuscaloosa Regional will face the winner of the Knoxville Regional, which includes No. 11 Tennessee, Ohio State, Oregon State and Campbell.
- Tide pitching has allowed the fewest hits (262), runs (131), earned runs (109), doubles (30) and home runs (24) of any SEC team
- Montana Fouts leads the SEC with 150 strikeouts in conference play, which is 60 more than the next leading pitcher
- Head Coach Patrick Murphy is in his 24th season as head coach at Alabama with a 1,190-331 (.782) record
- Alabama returns 11 players from last year's team that made the Women's College World Series semifinals, including a pair of All-Americans in Montana Fouts and Kaylee Tow
- The Tide welcomes nine newcomers in 2022, including three transfers and six freshmen
- Alabama has played in every NCAA Tournament since 1999, Patrick Murphy's first year as head coach
- This year marks the 19th time the Crimson Tide has hosted the NCAA Regional round, including an active streak of 17-straight started in 2005
- Alabama owns a 62-9 (.873) record in NCAA Regional play
- The Tide owns the longest active Division I streak with 17-straight NCAA Regional round wins and 43-straight wins in NCAA Regional play
- Alabama's last loss in NCAA Regional play came in the opening game of the 2007 tournament to Tennessee Tech, though the Tide did go on to win that regional round
Tuscaloosa Regional — May 20-22 at Tuscaloosa, Alabama
The teams: No. 6 Alabama, Chattanooga, Murray State, Stanford
- Game 1: vs. Chattanooga (29-25) vs. No. 6 seed Alabama* (41-11)— 4 p.m. Friday on SEC Network
- Game 2: Murray State (40-16-1) vs. Stanford (36-19) — 6:30 p.m. Friday on ESPN+
- Game 3: 3 p.m. Saturday between Game 1 and Game 2 winners
- Game 4: 5:30 p.m. Saturday between Game 1 and Game 2 losers
- Game 5: 8 p.m. Saturday between Game 4 winner and Game 3 loser
- Game 6: 2 p.m. Sunday between Game 3 winner and Game 5 Winner
- Game 7: 4:30 p.m. Sunday if necessary
Stanford is headed to Tuscaloosa and the Cardinal should not be ignored. They finished fourth in the Pac-12, which is its highest finish within the conference since 2013. But what I am really paying attention to is the fact that they have won six games against national seeds this season, including five against teams in the top eight. An upset should never be ruled out.
Also, watch out for Murray State in its NCAA tournament debut!
Here is everything you need to know ahead of the NCAA softball regionals, including the schedule, teams and what to watch out for.
Alabama earned the No. 6 overall seed at the 2022 NCAA Tournament, hosting the Tuscaloosa Regional this weekend featuring Stanford, Murray State and Chattanooga