| RECRUIT The Portal Watch 2020-2021: Florida's Emory Jones announces intent to enter the transfer portal

bama alum

Scholarship Club

shocked-face.gif

BamaFan334

Scholarship Club
HIs talent, etc. But since nobody has seen him do anything since he signed it is all mythical at this point.

How can you hear stories about his talent if no one ever saw him?

He was ranked a five star out of high school based off his vision and speed. I'm not saying those guys are 100% on their rankings, but they are getting better and better with their rankings. I think he has the talent, but you always wonder if they have the mindset and desire. I think it's safe to say if you're a rated recruit, you have talent.

94 Grad

Century Club
How can you hear stories about his talent if no one ever saw him?

He was ranked a five star out of high school based off his vision and speed. I'm not saying those guys are 100% on their rankings, but they are getting better and better with their rankings. I think he has the talent, but you always wonder if they have the mindset and desire. I think it's safe to say if you're a rated recruit, you have talent.
I think at times we all get caught up in rankings and forget that most rankings are rating the "POTENTIAL" of the athlete in a few years. A lot of time that ranking/potential lines up with how good a kid is at that current moment in time, but mostly it will require development and work to get there no matter how much talent and ability a kid has coming out of high school.

Not all kids will be a fit at Alabama. Some will leave due to lack of mentality to compete, some will leave because they just don't fit in at the school/team, some will leave because of other issues away from school/team. It is what it is...

I wish a lot of these kids would stay at least 2 years before making that kind of decision, but it's their decision to make be that good or bad.

Next Up.

BamaFan334

Scholarship Club
I think at times we all get caught up in rankings and forget that most rankings are rating the "POTENTIAL" of the athlete in a few years. A lot of time that ranking/potential lines up with how good a kid is at that current moment in time, but mostly it will require development and work to get there no matter how much talent and ability a kid has coming out of high school.

Not all kids will be a fit at Alabama. Some will leave due to lack of mentality to compete, some will leave because they just don't fit in at the school/team, some will leave because of other issues away from school/team. It is what it is...

I wish a lot of these kids would stay at least 2 years before making that kind of decision, but it's their decision to make be that good or bad.

Next Up.

I 100% agree with you on everything you said here. I simply brought up the rankings because folks thought he was talented enough to be rated as a player across every recruiting agency out there. I can't understand how stories have been told about his lack of talent when no one saw him practice or play. He may not have had the talent to star at Alabama as you said, but there is no lack of talent in any player Saban is recruiting.

TerryP

Misomaniac
Ivory Club
Every ranking service uses potential as their qualifier: a potential NFL player cited with the five star guys. Just yesterday I read 247's five star definition:

"This player has excellent pro-potential and should emerge as one of the best in the country before the end of his career. There will be 32 prospects ranked in this range in every football class to mirror the first round of the NFL Draft."

That's where we actually see the "Bama bump." A five star player under Saban is a four star player under Franklin. If we're talking about a QB, that five star guy under Saban is a three star under Muschamp.

94 Grad

Century Club
I 100% agree with you on everything you said here. I simply brought up the rankings because folks thought he was talented enough to be rated as a player across every recruiting agency out there. I can't understand how stories have been told about his lack of talent when no one saw him practice or play. He may not have had the talent to star at Alabama as you said, but there is no lack of talent in any player Saban is recruiting.
Just to be clear, I'm not saying any kid doesn't have talent or potential. I've not in the rating business nor the coaching business and I've not seen the kid play or practice.

Also, Talent and potential are two different things. Talent get's a kid through high school, hard work and potential get a kid through college ball. It's rare that talent alone makes it to the NFL, but there are a few that break that rule.

Now combine talent, potential and hard work and you end up with a very special player for sure...

BamaFan334

Scholarship Club
Just to be clear, I'm not saying any kid doesn't have talent or potential. I've not in the rating business nor the coaching business and I've not seen the kid play or practice.

Also, Talent and potential are two different things. Talent get's a kid through high school, hard work and potential get a kid through college ball. It's rare that talent alone makes it to the NFL, but there are a few that break that rule.

Now combine talent, potential and hard work and you end up with a very special player for sure...

Agreed Agreed.

bamafan9201

Sideline Club
This Camar Wheaton situation leaves a sour taste. Either the kids just homesick or he’s not going to classes, or he just doesn’t like the idea of waiting his turn. But if it is the latter, we’d have still seen him out there some and in uniform so I have to believe there is an academic or emotional issue at play here

Davestwin

Sideline Club
More times than not, the Five Star players who leave Bama via the transfer portal don’t end up with stellar careers anywhere else. As others have stated, talent alone doesn’t make a player a star … pun intended.

mando

Sideline Club
Didn't the kid get injured? Maybe that held his development back or it is an injury that impacts his ability to perform at the level needed to get into the starting lineup. Use Trey Sanders as an example for point, the pre-injured Trey Sanders versus the post-injured Trey Sanders was not the same although he was certainly starting to show signs that he was getting closer.

BamaFan334

Scholarship Club
Didn't the kid get injured? Maybe that held his development back or it is an injury that impacts his ability to perform at the level needed to get into the starting lineup. Use Trey Sanders as an example for point, the pre-injured Trey Sanders versus the post-injured Trey Sanders was not the same although he was certainly starting to show signs that he was getting closer.

Yes, he had a meniscus injury. That's why we never saw him, which leads to the talent story questioning.

bamafan9201

Sideline Club
Yes, he had a meniscus injury. That's why we never saw him, which leads to the talent story questioning.
Didn't the kid get injured? Maybe that held his development back or it is an injury that impacts his ability to perform at the level needed to get into the starting lineup. Use Trey Sanders as an example for point, the pre-injured Trey Sanders versus the post-injured Trey Sanders was not the same although he was
The injury was a factor, but looks like he injured it either 3 months ago via Saban's conference or way before football in fall. Either way, timeline to return from that injury should've been up at this point or he would've seen the field earlier in the year or at least been around some. The timeline of the injury though seems to be closely guarded secret or something because all I can get is Saban's update on the situation and not the original date of the injury

BamaMD

Sideline Club
The injury was a factor, but looks like he injured it either 3 months ago via Saban's conference or way before football in fall. Either way, timeline to return from that injury should've been up at this point or he would've seen the field earlier in the year or at least been around some. The timeline of the injury though seems to be closely guarded secret or something because all I can get is Saban's update on the situation and not the original date of the injury
Not necessarily true. It depends on the extent of injury, the type of treatment he receive to correct the issue and the pace of therapy to ensure the best possible outcome. Remember, all these guys are high level athletes and the decision to keep him out was likely made to give him the best possible outcome. I agree that the injury likely played a role in him transferring out. I wouldn't be surprised if the injury took a toll on him mentally and emotionally as well and going home to his main support group was in his best interest. I wish him the best wherever he ends up. Amazing talent coming out of high school with a legitimate 4.3 forty time. I look forward to seeing him play.

Top Bottom