| RECRUIT The Portal Watch 2020-2021: Florida's Emory Jones announces intent to enter the transfer portal

BamaFan334

Scholarship Club
I do not follow other programs players so I really do not know anything about him. Was he their #1, #2 or other? Also, what were his stats?

#4, but #1 (Pickens) and #2 (Blalock)got hurt. #3 was probably Adoni Mitchell or Ladd McConkey, and then Burton. Burton jad the most receiving yards, but Bowers and the others were targeted more. He has speed, but have yet to see it teuly translate.

Justneedme81

Sideline Club
I mean, geez, Burton ain't that big of a fish. He's decent, but not a Ricks or Gibbs.
Why compare to a CB and RB? I don't understand the comparison here. I do not know he's a decent player, he's someone that can contribute a lot for Alabama this fall. Keep that in mind folks said same thing about Jameson Williams. Put Burton with Young and I'm telling you it'll be a very good year.
A very tough, physical player who loves to block and plays with a nice edge in his game. Has the strength to get off press and uses his body well to create separation. Can bully opposing corners and plays with a bit of a chip on his shoulder that rubs some the wrong way but teammates love him. Very nice package of size, speed, hands and play making ability. Can line up anywhere on the field and is among the most versatile pass catchers in the class. Has plus speed and is both dynamic after the catch and able to run past an opposing corner. Has strong hands and does a nice job catching the ball in traffic. Is also a very good return man and should be able to contribute early on as a punt/kick returner. Has all the tools to be a dominant player at the next level and is a natural talent with tremendous upside. Projects as an impact, upper-tier Power 5 starter and future high-round NFL draft pick.
This would be a huge get for Alabama, because as of right now, We don't have anyone that can get off the press. We have ton of inexperienced players that's learning how to play the game right at the next level... so we need an experienced player to step in and do things that Jameson Williams and John Metchie was doing. Having an experienced WR will help the young WRs on and off the field. Also, We had lot of immaturity in the locker room with WRs.. we saw Baker moving on.. Hall finally growing up later in the season.

He is someone that can play 50/50 ball, and also can burn receivers with speed...

BamaFan334

Scholarship Club
Why compare to a CB and RB? I don't understand the comparison here. I do not know he's a decent player, he's someone that can contribute a lot for Alabama this fall. Keep that in mind folks said same thing about Jameson Williams. Put Burton with Young and I'm telling you it'll be a very good year.

This would be a huge get for Alabama, because as of right now, We don't have anyone that can get off the press. We have ton of inexperienced players that's learning how to play the game right at the next level... so we need an experienced player to step in and do things that Jameson Williams and John Metchie was doing. Having an experienced WR will help the young WRs on and off the field. Also, We had lot of immaturity in the locker room with WRs.. we saw Baker moving on.. Hall finally growing up later in the season.

He is someone that can play 50/50 ball, and also can burn receivers with speed...

I know because I've watched him play more than anyone on this page I'm willing to bet. That doesn't mean he would fail, I'm just saying he's not THE missing link. I'm comparing him to a running back and cornerback in the same way they rank these guys as recruits. The other two have way more gamebreaking ability for us and plug holes we have. You say he can burn cornerbacks and beat the press. He did that gaining under 500 yards receiving AND being healthy? He was not burried in a depth chart either. Williams was.

We have receivers, and I bet you they will all be tough to overcome. Can he come in and play? Sure. Will he have the impact Williams did? I doubt lightning strikes in a bottle twice in a row. I'm game for it if it can, but I'm stating he's not a big fish in my eyes.

Justneedme81

Sideline Club
I know because I've watched him play more than anyone on this page I'm willing to bet. That doesn't mean he would fail, I'm just saying he's not THE missing link. I'm comparing him to a running back and cornerback in the same way they rank these guys as recruits. The other two have way more gamebreaking ability for us and plug holes we have.

We have receivers, and I bet you they will all be tough to overcome. Can he come in and play? Sure. Will he have the impact Williams did? I doubt lightning strikes in a bottle twice in a row. I'm game for it if it can, but I'm stating he's not a big fish in my eyes.
Same thing was said bout J.Williams. We'll have to circle back to this conversation in the fall.

mando

Sideline Club
I’d add another data point, Stetson had 2,500 yards passing entering the NC game. Bryce over 4,500. The person chucking the WRs the ball has to be factored in. I’m glad he’s giving us a look, CNS must be interested.
Yeah the kid is not leaving for no reason. He knows the Bama offense will highlight his WR skills better which should result in a better payday than he would have gotten at Georgia. I suspect this is purely a business decision for this kid.

Justneedme81

Sideline Club
This kid will likely be on the field for Alabama, LSU and Ole miss. You're trying to down play this as if he ain't that good... but he is that Good.... Georgia didn't do good job of developing receivers in recent years. It's not matter of talents.. it's the system Georgia was using and you'll see more recievers leaving Georgia between now and December.

Who do you want to go to? A game manager with rotation system at WR where he didn't get a chance to showcase his talent or go to a school with good qb and get a chance to showcase his skills. Burton has a chance to be even better reciever than most people will admit. There is a reason why Alabama. LSU and Ole miss likes him and its not to bring him just to have him on bench... it's to boost the WR room and start him. HE is that GOOD. Georgia dropped the ball.

Think back to our QB situation before we got Tua... and how we were having trouble getting recievers to come to Alabama.

bamafan9201

Sideline Club
Yea, the issue is Georgia is mishandling their receivers. None are even really being chatted about for drafts and if they are it's likely late round pick-ups. They target the TE more than they do receivers and they use the backs more often in space than receivers. Like the others stated, dude was their leading receiver with only 500 or so yards.

He has a higher YPC than any other Georgia Receiver this year

He has more yards than any Georgia Receiver this year

He had less targets than any other Georgia Receiver this year (So more yards, but less targets)

He's strong and physical at point of contact. IE - Reminds me of AJ Brown or Julio Jones type receiver.

From what I understand, he's unhappy with the system he was in and the further the season went along the less they seemed to utilize him. He knows his draft stock won't rise with numbers like that and he wants to find a place to push himself to be a top 1st or 2nd round pick-up instead of a late round one at Georgia.

I think Georgia had the perfect storm this year for the title, but they are not handling the attrition like Clemson did previously where they ride this thing to multiple trips. Recruiting is going well, but unlike Clemson they're losing people to the portal pretty hard...

TerryP

Misomaniac
Ivory Club

This post loaded the proverbial gun. There's a lot touched on in here.

One thing I have always disliked? The comparisons of one player to another: especially a new guy coming in versus someone we've seen week to week. When do they ever fit?

That said, a few bullet points:

• Burton compared to Williams doesn't fit: the staff isn't looking for the same guy/type of receiver.
  • Burton was used a lot at UGA in a Williams type role: outside the numbers offense with a tilt towards winning the 50/50 ball. (Coincidentally, that's what driving a lot of the dissatisfaction in the UGA WR corps: that offensive approach.) He wasn't an ideal fit.
  • He IS a boundaries guy and that IS outside the numbers. His skills are what he does 'horizontally' when there, not vertically.
  • Burton isn't going to be used in a Williams type role in the Bama offense: they look at him in more of a Metchie type role.
  • He's not looked at as being the #1 receiver in the offense: a positional role like Metchie's though more static vs dynamic. Ironically, he's got a step on Metchie making him more of a deep threat that they had last season.
  • YPR are a direct result of his YAC. Here's where we'll see him and how that average fits: he's their slant guy, the one defenses are watching with crossing routes.
  • @BamaFan334 mentions watching a lot of UGA this season. Even then he didn't get a good look at what Burton can bring. His freshman year gave us glimpses; his sophomore year ('21) had its share of injuries.

BamaFan334

Scholarship Club
This post loaded the proverbial gun. There's a lot touched on in here.

One thing I have always disliked? The comparisons of one player to another: especially a new guy coming in versus someone we've seen week to week. When do they ever fit?

That said, a few bullet points:

• Burton compared to Williams doesn't fit: the staff isn't looking for the same guy/type of receiver.
  • Burton was used a lot at UGA in a Williams type role: outside the numbers offense with a tilt towards winning the 50/50 ball. (Coincidentally, that's what driving a lot of the dissatisfaction in the UGA WR corps: that offensive approach.) He wasn't an ideal fit.
  • He IS a boundaries guy and that IS outside the numbers. His skills are what he does 'horizontally' when there, not vertically.
  • Burton isn't going to be used in a Williams type role in the Bama offense: they look at him in more of a Metchie type role.
  • He's not looked at as being the #1 receiver in the offense: a positional role like Metchie's though more static vs dynamic. Ironically, he's got a step on Metchie making him more of a deep threat that they had last season.
  • YPR are a direct result of his YAC. Here's where we'll see him and how that average fits: he's their slant guy, the one defenses are watching with crossing routes.
  • @BamaFan334 mentions watching a lot of UGA this season. Even then he didn't get a good look at what Burton can bring. His freshman year gave us glimpses; his sophomore year ('21) had its share of injuries.

I've watched his entire career, not just this season. He's no Metchie in my eyes. He's a talent, but not some whopper I'd be classifying on Twitter as breaking news. Of course Billingsly at Texas was, so maybe I'm just boring or maybe media types are hyping ecerything they can.

Ricks and Gibbs, yes. Can't believe I'm having to explain why those two are bigger gets. Two All-American types. We have more talent already that can produce like Burton.

mando

Sideline Club
I've watched his entire career, not just this season. He's no Metchie in my eyes. He's a talent, but not some whopper I'd be classifying on Twitter as breaking news. Of course Billingsly at Texas was, so maybe I'm just boring or maybe media types are hyping ecerything they can.

Ricks and Gibbs, yes. Can't believe I'm having to explain why those two are bigger gets. Two All-American types. We have more talent already that can produce like Burton.
Will certainly defer to you on this one BamaFan334 since you live in pupville. We also all know you are a closet UGA fan because you were scarred as a kid :).

Justneedme81

Sideline Club

Okay, I watched his freshmen highlights... I wasn't impressed with it. Lot of things he did, it was underwhelming. For the record, I don't think BamaFan334 is wrong... I get where he was coming from, but I don't think I really made my point well and that's my fault. I was trying to say that he has the potential to become a major impact player for Alabama, Ole Miss and LSU. If he truly want to shine and put up crazy number, then Ole Miss would be the spot for him. I don't think LSU would be destination for him unless he wants to follow his WR coach, Cortez Hankton there and I highly doubt that.

Now that Bama Fan explained things differently, I get that Gibbs and Ricks are a better get than Burton... But I think Burton in the end will be very good... he just have to eh.... put in time in the film room.

If he does sign with Alabama, I feel like he can become a better player because Alabama will try and get the best out of him in many ways. I apologize for saying that I thought he should be compared to Williams, but really.. I said it in a way where it could be taken wrong way. I was trying to say that Williams and Burton were similar because of their situation, not necessarily as a player. As far as his role on Alabama offense.. I do agree that he should be used similar to Metchie... but at same time I feel like he can be a deep ball and red zone threat, if he can clean up his route running a little bit.

I do get why everyone isn't exactly impressed with him and yes it does make sense, but I look at few things... the Coaching job in WR and how they rotated WR at Georgia. I don't think Cortez Hankton and Kirby handled the WR room well the past two years. Same situation with QBs.....
  • Matt Landers -- Toledo
  • Trey Blount -- Old Dominion
  • Makiya Tongue -- Oregon State
  • Tommy Bush -- North Texas
  • Demetrius Robertson -- Auburn
  • Justin Robinson -- Mississippi State
  • Jaylen Johnson -- East Carolina

TerryP

Misomaniac
Ivory Club
I've watched his entire career, not just this season. He's no Metchie in my eyes.
A "positional type role" within the Bama offense ...
A "Metchie type role" within the Bama offense ...

That's not saying he's another Metchie. Do you see why I said earlier how I didn't like player to player comparisons? They rarely fit, if ever.

No one has seen Burton used in the role the Tide staff is considering making speculation, based on what he's done in another offense, moot to a degree.

The offense has to have someone fill that "X" role in the WR corps. Metchie was backed up last season by Hall and Baker. Hall's shown progress while Baker took the egress. As I mentioned earlier Burton's skill set fits with crossing routes, slants, and the ability to work just past the markers on the boundaries. He's proven these skills even though he was under-utilized (or misused, your choice.) He's also shown the speed (Metchie didn't have) to stretch the field for the offense.

These are things we've discussed needing out of either Hall or Baker: put Burton in that Baker role. Hall nor Baker were said to be "Metchie's;" they're just two guys that Bama's needs to fill that role leaving us watching which develops more quickly.

TerryP

Misomaniac
Ivory Club
BTW, now that I've brought up Javon Baker. I've seen a mention or two about his transfer on the forums. In case you missed it he's landed at Kentucky.

Baker, along with recently signed Barion Brown, give Levis some nice options next season.

BamaFan334

Scholarship Club
A "positional type role" within the Bama offense ...
A "Metchie type role" within the Bama offense ...

That's not saying he's another Metchie. Do you see why I said earlier how I didn't like player to player comparisons? They rarely fit, if ever.

No one has seen Burton used in the role the Tide staff is considering making speculation, based on what he's done in another offense, moot to a degree.

The offense has to have someone fill that "X" role in the WR corps. Metchie was backed up last season by Hall and Baker. Hall's shown progress while Baker took the egress. As I mentioned earlier Burton's skill set fits with crossing routes, slants, and the ability to work just past the markers on the boundaries. He's proven these skills even though he was under-utilized (or misused, your choice.) He's also shown the speed (Metchie didn't have) to stretch the field for the offense.

These are things we've discussed needing out of either Hall or Baker: put Burton in that Baker role. Hall nor Baker were said to be "Metchie's;" they're just two guys that Bama's needs to fill that role leaving us watching which develops more quickly.

Are we not considering Earle and Leary here?

Top Bottom