| RECRUIT The Portal Watch 2020-2021: Florida's Emory Jones announces intent to enter the transfer portal

Brandon Van de Graaff

A defensive deity, inventor of the Concussion.
Ivory Club
Really disappointed in some of these guys especially the ones that would get playing time if they would stick it out in some cases or buy-in in other cases. This portal is just making it to easy for kids to bypass the lessons of perseverance.

I get it, and I'm not a fan of the portal in its current form. I also wish a couple of these players that have left (and a couple that may still leave), would have stuck it out instead. But that's coming from me, a selfish fan. It would be nice to go into the '22 season knowing we had an experienced and seasoned player like Drew Sanders who could come off the bench for example. But, he has a much greater chance at starting in Arkansas... he's a competitor and wants to play. Hard to fault him for that. Most of the other kids are in similar situations... a couple just didn't mesh well with how things are done under Saban, so they got out. In the end, there's still a lot of young talent on both sides of the ball. There will also be opportunities to add some players to fill any holes or weak spots on the roster. And with the way Saban targets and reels in transfers, it'll end up being addition by subtraction when its all said and done.

mando

Sideline Club
But that's coming from me, a selfish fan.
I understand this comment but I do not think it is just that. Of course we want what is best for Bama but some of these kids need to learn the lessons that you learn from persevering through challenging times. There are some lessons that some of these guys need to learn about doing things the right way or nothing is going to be handed to you. Think about BRob or Mac Jones. If either of these guys would have jumped ship early they would not have accomplished what they accomplished and have a better future for it.

Yes as a fan there is some selfishness but there are lots of lessons to be learned during the struggle and working and waiting your turn.

bamanc50

Sideline Club
There is probably a lot more going on with all of these transfers and going pro than we as fans know about. Sure some are making bad decisions but others have probably though this thing out along with CNS. Players like Sanders, Tyson, and Moody will probably be starters for their teams next year. As for JB, he will be a problem wherever he goes.

JoseyWalesTheOutlaw

Crimson Tide Club
Really disappointed in some of these guys especially the ones that would get playing time if they would stick it out in some cases or buy-in in other cases. This portal is just making it to easy for kids to bypass the lessons of perseverance.

These kids aren't looking for lessons about life. They came to Alabama ONLY thinking Nick could get them to the NFL. Now they're forced to seek another path. The easy button crowd. Not to be confused with the Bama Sunshine Club.

mando

Sideline Club
These kids aren't looking for lessons about life. They came to Alabama ONLY thinking Nick could get them to the NFL. Now they're forced to seek another path. The easy button crowd. Not to be confused with the Bama Sunshine Club.
Oh I am sure they did not come to Bama looking for life lessons. Even though they do not realize it that is exactly what they need. I will say it was the same with most of us at that age as well.

Brandon Van de Graaff

Ivory Club
On the transfers, early entrants, etc... Every player meets with his position coach, coordinator, and Saban at the conclusion of the season (and after A-Day). They basically go through a car wash of performance reviews... told what they need to work on, what they did well, what is expected of them going forward, etc. Most of these decisions to transfer or jump to the NFL are not made in a vacuum. And yes, there are cases where guys move on (even in the transfer portal) when it is 100% supported and even encouraged by Saban. Despite the way he's portrayed by many, he does care about what's best for the player. Obviously, the number crunch is a part of it as well, but I've never heard a single instance (that I recall), where Saban has pushed a kid out who a) wanted to stay AND b) did what was asked/expected of him.

mando

Sideline Club
Got 4 punters on the roster. I'm really curious about Martin. Based on his average from Troy, I would have thought he would have supplanted Burnip.
All on scholarship? I sure hope not. I was just basing my comment on the results we saw on the field this past year. Bama averaged 38 yards. They were 12th in the SEC.

Tidestalker

Crimson Tide Club
Oh I am sure they did not come to Bama looking for life lessons. Even though they do not realize it that is exactly what they need. I will say it was the same with most of us at that age as well.
Whole lotta generalizing going on on this thread.... Y'all feel the same way about Jalen Hurts?

Just keep in mind every situation is different. The coaching profession is 10X more of a revolving door than it was "back in the day". And I say this believing that the easy button is easier to press "now a days". But ultimately, sports is just like life in the idea that it's mostly still about relationships. So it's easy to see why the transfer landscape has changed as well.

colbyjacks

Sideline Club
All on scholarship? I sure hope not. I was just basing my comment on the results we saw on the field this past year. Bama averaged 38 yards. They were 12th in the SEC.
Very doubtful. Maybe one has a scholarship??? No idea. I'm not sure if there is something out there that shows which players are on athletic scholarships.

I agree, we have been very subpar in punting these last few years. Very surprised one of the other names passed him. Just an odd situation because you would think you could get plenty of options that were a lot better than what we have put on the field the last few years.

Brandon Van de Graaff

Ivory Club
That may be the biggest miss of the off season.

If he wasn't from here, he'd likely have never had Alabama on his transfer radar. Regardless, Saban isn't going to commit a scholarship in this situation at this point. If Bramblett could have waited until summer? Maybe a different story, but he had get enrolled at LSU and carry on when Alabama wasn't able to offer him. There will be other punter options out there later on.

Top Bottom