| GOLF Rickie Fowler isn't kneeling in protest of golf's latest rule change.

TerryP

Ivory Club
Reaction score
In the world of rule changes the USGA changed its drop rule and it's not being well received on the tour by some.

Their change to the rule makes sense. Instead of dropping the ball from the waist it's now supposed to be dropped from knee height. How much of a change is the rule? For me, it changes the height of the drop by cutting it in roughly half.

There's an advantage to the old rule, in my opinion. A lot of the courses I play are "resort styled layouts" which leave a lot of areas where you can get a horrible lie from a drop. Due to the natural contour of these courses it's not uncommon for a drop from the waist to roll and end up allowing golfers to actually place the ball. This rule change eliminates a lot of the possibility or rolls after drops.

Following the example of so many who have peacefully protested social issues in today's era Fowler chose to not only disrespect a flag, but 18 different flags in a vulgar and possibly profane manner. 🤡

Do you wonder what the rules official is thinking here?

Here's a few additional links to the story.

TerryP

Ivory Club
Reaction score
Per Golfweek, Justin Thomas will meet with USGA officials after being called out on Twitter by the USGA PR for being outspoken about how much he doesn’t like the rule changes

“It was a little shocking. It was a little upsetting just because it was inaccurate,” Thomas said Sunday of the USGA’s claims. “I haven’t canceled anything, especially any meetings. But it is what it is, and all I want is the best for the game of golf and the best for the sport, and that’s what we’re going to continue to try to communicate with each other to get that.

TUSKtimes

Riding The Wave
Crimson Tide Club
Reaction score
And the old drop ball from the shoulders is giving players all kinds of consternation. When they changed that one I could actually see it. When these guys are on uneven surfaces the ball just tends to roll away from the drop area when released from the shoulder. How many times have we seen golfers drop the ball 3 times and then just end up placing the ball at the right club length? This just makes it easier to get the drop right and move on.

The other that frankly, seems way too punitive, is losing a stroke when the ball moves at address. They changed the rule if the ball is on the green but kept the old format when the ball is not. To me, it's irritating to watch someone get a stroke penalty when addressing any ball, anywhere and the wind or environment obviously moved it.

And the best one that got changed for me is all these tattle tails watching on TV and they got to call in and report rule's violations. Glad that nonsense has been addressed.

TerryP

Ivory Club
Reaction score
The other that frankly, seems way too punitive, is losing a stroke when the ball moves at address. They changed the rule if the ball is on the green but kept the old format when the ball is not. To me, it's irritating to watch someone get a stroke penalty when addressing any ball, anywhere and the wind or environment obviously moved it.
That rule was edited, or revised if you will, beginning Jan. 1st of 2017. I know it's contained within rule 18 but I can't tell you exactly where (18.X.X ...)

In simple terms, the way it was rewritten said something along the lines of "if there's no doubt the player didn't cause the ball to move, Rule 18.X.X does not apply." (forgive the grammar.)

At address, if you put your club down and the ball moves? Penalty. And that makes sense to me. Addressing the ball begins when the club touches the ground whether the golfer is in his stance or not. Personally with my game, I seldom ground my club when I've got that type of lie. It's just easier to handle the shot like you would out of a hazard—don't ground the club.

Top Bottom