| FTBL Portal Update: "... roughly 47% who entered are still there."

Davestwin

Sideline Club
That’s the problem for players who aren’t considered elite (but aren’t walk-on’s either). You enter the portal in order to get more playing time but to do so you give up your scholarship. If no one picks you up, you not only don’t get to play football, you also dramatically impact your ability to earn a degree. That’s very sad to me. Not everyone can start … players used to know that. It doesn’t mean they didn’t want to start … it just means it was accepted. It seems in today’s everyone gets a trophy world, there’s also an everyone’s good enough to start component.

alabama mike

Probably At A Ballgame
Crimson Tide Club
That’s the problem for players who aren’t considered elite (but aren’t walk-on’s either). You enter the portal in order to get more playing time but to do so you give up your scholarship. If no one picks you up, you not only don’t get to play football, you also dramatically impact your ability to earn a degree. That’s very sad to me. Not everyone can start … players used to know that. It doesn’t mean they didn’t want to start … it just means it was accepted. It seems in today’s everyone gets a trophy world, there’s also an everyone’s good enough to start component.

Some of these athletes will end up going to D II or the old D I A route. Just because a kid enters the portal, it does not automatically mean they are going to be get another scholarship.

OldPlayer

Crimson Tide Club
D II only offers equivalency scholarships (ex.: they have financial resources for 10 scholarships that can be divided up any way but the total amount equals 10 scholarships). D III does not offer athletic scholarships but many athletes get some merit scholarship amounts.

Sid Youngleman

Persifleur
Sideline Club
That’s the problem for players who aren’t considered elite (but aren’t walk-on’s either). You enter the portal in order to get more playing time but to do so you give up your scholarship. If no one picks you up, you not only don’t get to play football, you also dramatically impact your ability to earn a degree.
With very few exceptions (and those mostly quarterbacks), players familiar with the bench should have little realistic expectation of an NFL career. When they enter the portal anyway, forfeit their scholarship and fail to be picked up by another school, the main thing they're proving is that they had no business in college to begin with. Charles Darwin would recognize the process.

bama alum

Scholarship Club
I just read Javon Baker isn't enrolling at Kentucky and is back in the portal I assume. Crazy.

Didn't know that til I read your comment.

I guess these guys are looking for guarantees.

thats-not-how-this-works-thats-not-how-any-of-this-works.gif

Pokitren

Registered
In these circumstances, they should first find a team, and then enter the portal, if necessary.

Top Bottom