| FTBL LSU RB, John Emery out for the season

bama alum

Crimson Tide Club
blink182-what-the-fuck.gif
wait-what-james-franco.gif

Does Haw Haw not have anyone who oversees scheduling so mistakes like this don't happen?

It Takes Eleven

Quoth the Raven...
Scholarship Club
Basket weaving not available. Let Justin Wilson teach him crawdad etouffee

A writer asked, "Did you major in basket weaving at Alabama"?
Without batting an eye, Namath immediately responded, "No, I started out majoring in basket weaving but it was way too difficult. So I changed my major to journalism".

TerryP

Ivory Club
Does Haw Haw not have anyone who oversees scheduling so mistakes like this don't happen?
Yes, of course they do. Whether they "did" their job is another question.

The more I think about this with little news bites coming out here and there I'm beginning to believe this is about academic misconduct; not missing a required class / or registering for the wrong one.

(Admitedly, I don't know the LSU academic calendar. I do believe if it was the wrong class he could have registered for the correct one {IE: second quarter, first semester} and only been out for a few weeks until that class began.)

What throws me for a loop here is both compliance and their academic advisors were praised by Orgeron yesterday: "they do a great job." (sic)

Well...based on what we know, no. They haven't been doing their job.

Never-the-less ... this story doesn't appear to be going away anytime soon.

TerryP

Ivory Club
You don't see guys fighting the academically ineligible determination
Assuming we take Orgeron at this word which means compliance did their job as did his academic advisors where would his "suspension" come from? To me, it should like the decision came from an Academic Misconduct "council."

So that leads me to ask, "on what basis are they fighting?"

BamaFan334

Scholarship Club
Assuming we take Orgeron at this word which means compliance did their job as did his academic advisors where would his "suspension" come from? To me, it should like the decision came from an Academic Misconduct "council."

So that leads me to ask, "on what basis are they fighting?"

He's a Junior if I recall. Does he need a certain amount of credits to become an eligible Junior that can play football? I'm assuming there are criteria, so with a year off would that affect him? Also, maybe you can only take so many Sociology or Physiology classes before they stop counting towards core? Heck, I don't know. After you look at the simplicity of it all, and the fact they have TEAMS hired to get these kids straight and keep them straight, it would seem like a personal issue.

rocknthefreeworld

Century Club
Base requirements for a Junior would be 40% of the degree completed and all credits must go towards that degree. Is it possible he signed up for a class that is not in his degree? Sure, but that means the academic support people either are not doing their job properly or he just ignored them. If he can prove he was told by the school that the classes were OK then he would probably have been given a waiver for it.

TerryP

Ivory Club
Does he need a certain amount of credits to become an eligible Junior that can play football?
There's a standard, across the board, for how many hours and what kind of classes freshman are required to have as well as sophomores. When we get into junior and senior classes one would hope they'd have their core classes done for their first two years.

And that's where this gets cloudy. Let's assume he hasn't taken his English 201 class because he was registered for (hypothetically) English 301. Those core classes are taught throughout the year.

Now, I haven't looked at their academic calendar yet. But if it's anything like other schools they offer night classes that are advanced. IE: I took a few classes that only lasted about five weeks but it was an entire semester crammed into those five. It would seem to me if it was as simple as the wrong class, or he missed a core requirement, he could make it up in their first "quarter" of this semester. He'd be back before the end of the season assuming he passed the class.

alabama mike

Probably At A Ballgame
Crimson Tide Club
He as a player should know which class to take.

Rick, this is a much larger problem than you think in the academic world. We have students and parents that have no idea what their child needs to take to get a diploma. We have kids who want an honors diploma, go over the class list yearly and they still sign up for the wrong classes. Its frustrating!

Top Bottom