| GOLF Dustin Johnson wins WGC-Mexico....JT finished with a 62 and won 200k

JoseyWalesTheOutlaw

Bama Club
Reaction score

TerryP

Ivory Club
Reaction score
Thanks for bringing this up.

I noticed he'd put together a good number of birdies today. Moved a day late.

bama alum

Verified Member
Crimson Tide Club
Reaction score

If I saw it on tv correctly, he shot a -9 today. One of his approach shots hit the pin (?) and spun back and to the right a number of feet (like 25'?). Drained that putt.

Compared to how well DJ played all weekend, JT's monumental effort today was too little, too late, but still...Great round today!

BamaFan334

Verified Member
Crimson Tide Club
Reaction score

Did Kuchar's caddie from the last tournament carry a bag? I know the media and folks like to try and make a statement, so was curious.

TUSKtimes

Riding The Wave
Crimson Tide Club
Reaction score
DJ had it going in the final round. He was clicking in all phrases and looked plenty dangerous. Rory actually didn't play that bad. If his putting holds up he can still dominate a course with his driver. Jordan Speith, I'm starting to wonder if his career isn't starting to look a lot like McIlroy's has since he forgot how to putt within 5 feet of the hole. Not sure what the science is behind the flat stick and the mass between the ears but when she goes south, it seems to go in a hurry.

TerryP

Ivory Club
Reaction score
Not sure what the science is behind the flat stick and the mass between the ears but when she goes south, it seems to go in a hurry.
That's likely his problem. He's to busy thinking about the science aspect which has the mental part of his game twisted.

Personally, I'm not a big "tool" guy when it comes to correcting a swing path or putting stroke. I'm sure they have their benefits, like muscle memory, but it's just not my thing—golfers using them stick out to me like a sore thumb.

I say that because I've noticed Spieth using the PUTTout Mirror trainer lately. I get how it works. I don't get the reason to spend money on it when two clubs and two tees will do the same thing.

JoseyWalesTheOutlaw

Bama Club
Reaction score
That's likely his problem. He's to busy thinking about the science aspect which has the mental part of his game twisted.

Personally, I'm not a big "tool" guy when it comes to correcting a swing path or putting stroke. I'm sure they have their benefits, like muscle memory, but it's just not my thing—golfers using them stick out to me like a sore thumb.

I say that because I've noticed Spieth using the PUTTout Mirror trainer lately. I get how it works. I don't get the reason to spend money on it when two clubs and two tees will do the same thing.

JMO but Speith is allowing his emotions to cripple his game. He seems to get pissed about anything these days and then it gets worse for him. JT is allowing himself to get off track due to his struggles with his putting game. Hard to stay level when you're knocking the paint off the hole on puts with nothing falling but you can't take that frustration with you to the box for the next shot.

TUSKtimes

Riding The Wave
Crimson Tide Club
Reaction score

Maybe it's as simple as the Tin Cup shank therapy, "you're thinking too much." When Jordan was putting bombs in from all over the greens, regularly, he was weirdly looking at the hole when he was over the ball and just cranking. Now, he's experimenting from hole to hole with head down, head up, it's kinda crazy. You can see it now messing with the rest of his game, which you kind of knew was going to happen, sooner or later.

Image result for Tin Cup gif

TerryP

Ivory Club
Reaction score
Hard to stay level when you're knocking the paint off the hole on puts with nothing falling but you can't take that frustration with you to the box for the next shot.
Now, he's experimenting from hole to hole with head down,
That's a great point Josey. It's echoed by TT. The only edit I'd make is he is carrying it from course to course as well as hole to hole.

Ironically, here's one sport you can easily compare to football's cornerback and quarterback positions. You have to forget the deep ball you gave up. You have to forget the last interception you threw. And in this case, your last shot, hole, round, and tournament.

As the weather warms and we see the tour at more locations featuring different grass types for greens and fairways, we may see his game fall back into place. It can be a huge adjustment moving from Bent to Bermuda greens...or changing the turf in the short stuff.

TerryP

Ivory Club
Reaction score
[hijack]

That reminds me of the scene where Don Johnson has the bet with Costner about how long he can drive the ball and proceeds to hit it down the road. A little while after that movie I saw John Daly at the airport in Memphis hit one down one of the runways that rolled a good 6-700 yards until it rolled off in the grass.

[/hijack]

Top Bottom