| FTBL Clay Helton is out at USC

OldPlayer

Bama Club
Bohn has stated he's not going to use a search committee.
We'll all agree they always have a "list." He's had one.
He fires the coach this soon without making a call, or two?

To me, it's telling he's nixing the committee.
Committee or no committee, how many head football coaches answer their phones directly? A call will go to the switchboard or personal secretary. or more likely will be placed to a coach's agent to gauge interest. What agent is likely to contact a coach to tell them USC has an interest when the target head coach is two games into a season? Only a non-working coach (i.e., Bob Stoops - but not saying he's a target) has time to address an interest.

TerryP

Ivory Club
What agent is likely to contact a coach to tell them USC has an interest when the target head coach is two games into a season? Only a non-working coach (i.e., Bob Stoops - but not saying he's a target) has time to address an interest.
Contact a coach, directly? No. An agent calling? Yes. An athletic director calling agents? Yes. An athletic director calling people within his circle? Yes.

Calls have been made from where I'm sitting. Direct contact? You and I will agree, not directly.

Bohn may strike out. He has to feel confident he has his man or he wouldn't have pulled the trigger so quickly.

BamaFan334

Scholarship Club
It's a group that meets, invites speakers, etc. Normally over lunch.

There are more than one around the south that do this: outside of Alumni functions bringing speakers in to their respective towns. IE: One in N. Alabama that meets at Greenbrier every few months.

I need to join one of these. I just wasn't sure if you were talking REC or not.

Brandon Van de Graaff

A defensive deity, inventor of the Concussion.
Ivory Club
If Bohn is targeting guys like Bienemy and Leftwich as rumored by some, there's a some middle men that can be cut out. Even with a guy like James Franklin though, I doubt he's personally fielding calls, but he's had one foot out Happy Valley's door for a while now... if he wants the USC job, I can guarantee you he's let it be known via the backchannel (Trace Armstrong).

Brandon Van de Graaff

A defensive deity, inventor of the Concussion.
Ivory Club
The thing that makes me pause about Fickell is I'm thinking that USC will be pressured by some to get an offensive guy. Also though, he's in a good spot right now, similar to Matt Campbell. He can pretty much name his CFB job... does he want to go to USC or hold out for another job(s) that he likes better? Also, as with Campbell, the NFL has set their sights on him. He will have NFL opportunities if he wants them. But, I think he'd be a good hire if USC can get him.

Top Bottom