| FTBL Clay Helton is out at USC

Ranger

Registered
This was a bad idea from the jump - Like asking Jim Boeheim to coach the Showtime Lakers.

Need some personality in Tinseltown... Even boring winning won't cut it!
It’s why Pete Carroll was so great there. Charismatic guy who let his players’ personalities show - but at the end of the day, he still took his football completely serious. His practices were almost always best vs best each week. They would then go out and blast their opponents on Saturday.

alabama mike

Probably At A Ballgame
Crimson Tide Club
I'm surprised that the firing didn't happen sooner. What is surprising is that Helton lasted as long as he did at USCw. IMO, I see the boys of Troy making do with the interim coach until the end of the year and then trying to secure a "name" coach or an up and comer.

BamaFan334

Scholarship Club
It’s why Pete Carroll was so great there. Charismatic guy who let his players’ personalities show - but at the end of the day, he still took his football completely serious. His practices were almost always best vs best each week. They would then go out and blast their opponents on Saturday.

But he ran a program full of guys taking money and gifts. Reggie Bush? And that's just the easiest instance. No telling how many VIP rooms, alcohol, clothing, money, cars, and houses those teams were given with their status in Hollywood. He has a great NFL personality as he can relate to those guys, but also let them do their thing without actually having to do much. To me, he ran a dirty program that was wilder than Larry Coker's Miami teams. In all honesty, how hard is it to get kids and sell them on the lights and fame of Hollywood, while also allowing them to reap financial reward? Pretty sure any of us could do that. Orgeron, Sarkesian, Kiffin, and now Helton were under a microscope due to the scandals from Carroll's tenure. Let's not forget Lynn Swann and how he got fired, along with the pay for admission scandals out there.

Last edited:

50+yeartidefan

Touchdown Club
But he ran a program full of guys taking money and gifts. Reggie Bush? And that's just the easiest instance. No telling how many VIP rooms, alcohol, clothing, money, cars those teams were given with their status in Hollywood. He has a great NFL personality as he can relate to those guys, but also let them do their thing without actually having to do much. To me, he ran a dirty program that was wilder than Larry Coker's Miami teams.
But now....with NIL ......

BamaFan334

Scholarship Club

Of course, now it's legal. Helton was not the beneficiary of that. I find it hard to believe any coach couldn't win out there with NIL and the preference given in Hollywood to these guys if they win. Has me wondering if Bryce stays in town if NIL was available three years ago. How about Tua if it was five-six years ago? USC will bounce back and will definitely be the benefactors of NIL, along with Alabama, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Texas and Clemson. Still don't think I've heard of any Notre Dame guys signing anything big which is surprising.

TerryP

Ivory Club
Has me wondering if Bryce stays in town if NIL was available three years ago. How about Tua if it was five-six years ago?
Something for you guys to ponder here.

With the NIL you have to have a demand; in this case seeing guys like Bryce for Bama or Bo for Auburn. Where's that demand in California? Where are the viewers?

BamaFan334

Scholarship Club
Something for you guys to ponder here.

With the NIL you have to have a demand; in this case seeing guys like Bryce for Bama or Bo for Auburn. Where's that demand in California? Where are the viewers?

I agree, but they don't have a "Matt Leinhart face", or a "Reggie Bush talent", or a "Mike Williams threat" right now like they used to. If Bryce or DJ stayed in California they'd snap those guys up in two seconds. If JT Daniels had stayed, someone would have snagged him up. A guy like Tua? They would have made him just as rich as he is now with the culture and faith he brings. Even Najee would have made bank. No offense to Slovis, Bru McCoy, Foreman, or Drake Davis, but the star power isn't there. None of those guys had the prep clout as the others I mentioned above, and we know Hollywood is about that new shiny exotic ride, and will use and abuse you.

It Takes Eleven

Quoth the Raven...
Scholarship Club
Of course, now it's legal. Helton was not the beneficiary of that. I find it hard to believe any coach couldn't win out there with NIL and the preference given in Hollywood to these guys if they win. Has me wondering if Bryce stays in town if NIL was available three years ago. How about Tua if it was five-six years ago? USC will bounce back and will definitely be the benefactors of NIL, along with Alabama, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Texas and Clemson. Still don't think I've heard of any Notre Dame guys signing anything big which is surprising.
Here's a thread on ND NIL:

JoseyWalesTheOutlaw

Crimson Tide Club
USC is down to their LAST TOKEN at the Big Boy Football machine.......They have pretty much pulled a Bama with their selections of HC's since Pete closed down his cheating machine and went to the NFL. One bad hire after another for USC. They F this up then they may never return as a blue blood.

TerryP

Ivory Club
How do you join, or is this the invitation only group you speak of?
It's a group that meets, invites speakers, etc. Normally over lunch.

There are more than one around the south that do this: outside of Alumni functions bringing speakers in to their respective towns. IE: One in N. Alabama that meets at Greenbrier every few months.

Top Bottom