| OT Are you into sports nostalgia? A thread on "Our Lives" gives me an idea...post some of your nostalgic pictures from sports: real or in the movies

12gage

Century Club
Reaction score
Oscar Robinson, the "Big O," from MLB.

TerryP

Cenosillicaphobiac
Ivory Club
Reaction score
Here's a flashback some can remember...but fondly?

bamachine

Master Debater
Century Club
Reaction score
@TerryP, BMC aka Baptist Medical Center.

Coach sponsored a statewide Diabetes Bike-A-Thon. It was held in like 5 locations around the state. I think Fort Payne, Florence, Dothan, Mobile and Tuscaloosa. Each of them was a 16 mile bicycle ride and the participants collected donations. Some donations were just whole dollar amounts, like 10 or 20 bucks, others were like .50 or 1.00 per mile that the rider completed. I completed the ride and raised the most money in the state. When I say I raised, I mean my dad raised the most, taking donations from his job at the steel mill in Bham. Also my mom raised some from her homemaker's club.

Baptist Medical Center was in Fort Payne(as was I). They were involved in the event, so he ended up wearing the hat for the picture by the local fishwrap.

TerryP

Cenosillicaphobiac
Ivory Club
Reaction score
others were like .50 or 1.00 per mile that the rider completed. I completed the ride and raised the most money in the state. When I say I raised, I mean my dad raised the most, taking donations from his job at the steel mill in Bham. Also my mom raised some from her homemaker's club.
You rode, and your "money" came from the miles? How many?

bamachine

Master Debater
Century Club
Reaction score
You rode, and your "money" came from the miles? How many?
I finished the 16 mile ride. So if someone pledged .50 a mile, they owed $8. Dad got like 100 people to donate(he was a well liked millwright), mom another 20 or so. Like I said, some of them donated a fixed amount, no matter how many miles I rode(a couple donated like $50 or $100). I think, all told, we(me riding, dad and mom collecting) collected somewhere close to $2500, IIRC. Seems like the next highest was like $1800 and there were like 400 riders at the 5 locations. I think all the riders, statewide, collected close to $100K which all went to the JDF(Juvenile Diabetes Foundation).

TerryP

Cenosillicaphobiac
Ivory Club
Reaction score
@bamachine, I'm sure you know what year. How old were you? Nine? Ten?

16 miles...that's a ride. I don't know if I could have done it when I was a kid...some hilly roads in N. AL. Strangely enough, here I am as a kid of the late 60's and know I could knock that out in no time today. (I ride about six a day several times per week.)

bamachine

Master Debater
Century Club
Reaction score
@bamachine, I'm sure you know what year. How old were you? Nine? Ten?

16 miles...that's a ride. I don't know if I could have done it when I was a kid...some hilly roads in N. AL. Strangely enough, here I am as a kid of the late 60's and know I could knock that out in no time today. (I ride about six a day several times per week.)
It was in '81, I was 10 at the time. The ride was from Ft Payne to Valley Head and back. Pretty flat roads. I also have a brother who was a professional cyclist back then. He still rides today. I think his last ride was something like 70 miles, including climbing both Lookout and Sand Mtn. He got me the bike I rode back then. It was a Trek which would have cost about $800 back then but he got it free, as part of his sponsorship. The one he rode was like a $2000 bike. I also got a bunch of free Nike shoes through my other brother who was a sponsored distance runner. Together, along with a friend of theirs, won many triathlons throughout the south. A third brother played football for Bryant, as a walk on. My last brother got several scholarship offers to play football but decided he was done with school and went straight to work. So, you could say, I come from a fairly athletic family(I am the least of the 5 brothers).

alabama mike

Probably At A Ballgame
Crimson Tide Club
Reaction score
Tom Dempsey, New Orleans Saints

Top Bottom